Ritchie Bros. recently held 24 online auctions globally, selling more than 34,000 equipment items over six days.

The two largest auctions took place in Alberta and Texas (Photo: Ritchie Bros)

The two largest of these events took place in Alberta and Texas, where Ritchie Bros. sold a combined US$114 million of equipment online for approximately 1,800 consignors.

The Houston, Texas, USA auction on June 21 – 23 attracted more than 10,000 online bidders for the 5,900+ items consigned, with buyers from Texas purchasing approximately 48 per cent of the equipment.

Houston highlights 

Specific sales highlights included a 2013 Link-Belt RTC80110 rough terrain crane that sold for US$305,000; a 2018 Caterpillar D6T dozer that sold for US$255,000; and two 2020 Peterbilt 567 6x4 truck tractors that sold for US$240,000 each.

“Our Houston yard was very busy leading up to the auction with customers inspecting, testing, and comparing items prior to bidding online,” said Chuck Roberson, regional sales manager at Ritchie Bros. 

Approximately 700 companies sold equipment in the three-day Houston auction, including a complete dispersal for MDS Boring & Drilling Inc.

Canadian bidding

On June 22 – 24, Ritchie Bros. sold approximately 7,000 items from its Edmonton, Alberta, Canada auction site and attracted more than 12,300 online bidders from 43 countries. Approximately 60 % of the equipment in the CA$65+ million (US$51+ million) auction was sold to Alberta buyers, while the remaining 40 % was sold to buyers from as far away Australia, Belize, and Morocco.

Sales highlights from Edmonton included a 2015 Caterpillar 988K wheel loader that sold for CA$605,000 (US$468,000+); a 2009 Caterpillar D8T that sold for CA$550,000 (US$429,000+); and five 2018 Caterpillar 745 articulated dump trucks that sold for CA$355,000 each (US$274,000+).


Receive the information you need when you need it through our world-leading magazines, newsletters and daily briefings.

Sign up